About Long Sutton, Bineham, Knole and Upton
Long Sutton village and civil parish is in Somerset, England, situated 4 miles south of Somerton in the South Somerset district. With approximately 350 houses the village has a population of about 850.
The centre of Long Sutton is characterised by a village green - with a lime tree at each corner and a chestnut tree in the centre.
The Devonshire Arms Hotel is at one end of the green and at the other are the former primary school and Holy Trinity church which dates from 1490. The parish includes the village of Knole to the East and Upton to the West.
The population of the Parish has never been more mixed, socially and economically, than it is today. Incomers, long term residents, retired and working people all combine to form a caring and dynamic society which is determined to maintain all that is good about the Parish.
In 2000 “Long Sutton at the Millennium” was written as a snapshot of the village. Also, the Women’s Institute produced a hand-painted map of the village illustrating key elements of its history, architecture and activities – copies of which are available from the village shop.
In 2008 a Parish Plan was created to identify, preserve and enhance those qualities that make Long Sutton such a good place to live in see the Parish Council section.
Information about highways, local policing and our efforts to tackle speeding within the Parish.
Our Environment Plan will provide a roadmap for helping to make the Parish more sustainable and resilient to climate change.
Hear how we manage and maintain the fantastic network of footpaths and bridleways in the Parish with the help of our Lengthsman and volunteers.